A blog of art, photography, food and writings.

Monday, June 11, 2007

TACKLING MORE THAN TOMATILLOS

Well, the front cover of Bon Appetit (June issue) finally snagged me yesterday with that mouth-watering photo of layered chicken enchiladas with a tomatillo sauce.

I've been a long-time devotee of Bon Appetit and almost every month I try at least one or two recipes. Doesn't matter how daunting, time-consuming, or complicated the recipes are; if they grab me, I start cooking (or baking!). And what better day to spend HOURS in the kitchen than on a quiet Sunday afternoon? That's exactly what I did and wasn't at all disappointed with the results. Can't complain either about the sense of pride that also works its way into the cooking equation.

However, my inspiration only got me through the first couple hours and then I needed a stool at the stove because my legs got tired. Oh well...

The recipe included a melange of flavorful ingredients, but was very time-consuming. Take a look at some of the separate steps involved just to get to the assembling phase:

--peel, wash, boil, blend the tomatillos with jalapenos, garlic, parsley, cilantro, mint. Then cook the sauce.
-char the poblanos on the burner, then peel and seed them
-lightly fry 12 tortillas
-grate the cheese
-shred the roasted chicken
-make the marinated onions (preferably the night before)

The layering was the easy part, the baking a breeze. But like I said, there were many steps--not too different from making a lasagna or eggplant parmigiana from scratch.

If you're inspired to try this enchilada recipe (serves 6) I urge you to allow a lot of time. Trust me, it'll be worth it and your family will love this dish--especially with the fuchsia-colored onions. They are an incredibly delicious accompaniment and could become habit-forming.

Bon Appetit!

Stacked Chicken Enchiladas with Salsa Verde and Cheese

Salsa Verde

Pickled Red Onions

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Rena said...

Sarojni, this all sounds so delicious. What else would be the pickled onions be really good with ?

6:42 AM

 
Blogger Sarojni Mehta-Lissak said...

I think the pickled red onions would be fantastic with many foods:

-on bagels, instead of plain onions
-in salads
-as a side dish in any Mexican meal
-served on a beautiful platter next to grilled meats, poultry, or fish
-on hamburgers
-in sandwiches

Last night my husband put them on top of his salad and enjoyed the flavors.

8:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home