A blog of art, photography, food and writings.

Friday, May 18, 2007

A DISTURBING SIGHT

Every day I take my dog on a walk in and around my neighborhood. During these outings I look at everything in my path from the trees and flowers to the sidewalks and roads. For many months now I have noticed a very disturbing sight: dead bees at my feet. They lay still, bodies silent with wings extended, and they appear so often that I feel a sense of sadness knowing something is amiss in our environment.

There are many theories as to why this is happening, including pesticide use, genetically engineered food, mites, and fungi. But one thing is for sure; the populations are dropping at an alarming rate.

Bees are much more important than just producers of sweet honey for our morning toast; they are biologically vital for cross-pollination, and many life forms rely on this act in order to receive fruits, vegetables, and nuts as food.

Read more about Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD):

Celsias website

Organic bees survive CCD