A blog of art, photography, food and writings.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

PINING FOR POMEGRANATES



"Pomegranate"
8 x 10"
Acrylic on panel
$375.00

by ©Rick Wheeler
Rick Wheeler's website


It seems that with the first hint of fall I immediately start yearning for pomegranates. They're beautiful, colorful and packed with a flavor that is at once sweet--and tart.

The best part for me, is that my in-laws have a pomegranate tree in their backyard, and every year I eagerly await the fruits to ripen. Unfortunately, this year when the pomegranates were ready for harvesting, my in-laws were away and by the time they were home, most of the garnet colored fruits were hanging from the drooping branches, split open and available to any bird or bug.

But my father-in-law rescued enough to send my family home with a bulging bag of pomegranates, and later, my husband spent a long time coaxing the shimmering seeds out of their tight cocoons.

For those of you who would like to know how to incorporate these seeds into your cooking, I'd like to offer a few suggestions and a recipe:

Tips for Using Pomegranate Seeds

-Sprinkle in salads. The color of pomegranate seeds is eye-popping and will bring anyone back to the salad bowl for seconds.

-Use on top of hummus--that scrumptious Middle Eastern dish made with garbanzo beans and tahini (sesame seed paste).

-Sprinkle over fish, chicken, or even meat, along with some chopped herbs, like parsley.

-Combine with sliced oranges as a salad. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and you're set to serve.

HUMMUS BI TAHINI

1 15 oz. can organic garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
2 T. tahini
1 T. olive oil
2 T. lemon juice
1 clove garlic, chopped coarsely
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
water for thinning (about 4 T.)
chopped parsley
1 T. pomegranate seeds

Place all ingredients in blender except water, parsley and pomegranate seeds.
Start blending and add enough water to help mixture puree easily. Continue blending until very smooth. Pour onto platter or plate, and with a spoon, make a circular design in the hummus. Pour olive oil into grooves. Sprinkle with parsley, and top with pomegranate seeds.

Serve with organic, whole wheat pita bread, cut into triangles.

Visit Sarojni's website:
Sarojni Mehta-Lissak

Email Sarojni

1 Comments:

Blogger motherdori said...

Hello Mehta...
Yeah>>>I was able to recover my original blog that I set up..so here I am...
Just wanted to let you know how
much I enjoy your blogspot...
It is insightful, inspiring and
full of color and class..just like
you.
Take care,
Keep writing...your gift is your gift to give.
love,
motherdori

8:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home