A blog of art, photography, food and writings.

Monday, October 30, 2006

BRUCE'S KILLER KEBABS--WITH A MEXICAN TWIST

Okay, I'm going to let the proverbial black cat out of the bag: My husband, Bruce, has a serious propensity for "kicks," which can often teeter on the brink of minor obsessions--especially relating to music or food. Right now his music kick is Phantom of the Opera. He plays the CD morning, noon and night. I have to shield my ears or go into another room, because the haunting songs are beginning to crash around my brain like chilled Chablis in a wine jug.

Bruce's current food kick is chipotle chilies. If I run out; he panics.

On Saturday, he went to Smart and Final and came home with a 3-pack, just to make sure he "has enough" on hand. Yesterday morning he put chopped chipotles in his scrambled eggs. When he walked past me with his plate, a smoky waft blew by, and when I looked up, the eggs were so red I thought he had used a whole can. But he assured me he had only used two chilies.

Then last night, he said he'd like to use them again in some kebabs. I thought that was a grand idea--but wasn't that a bit overboard? I mean, two times in one day? Not for Bruce.

As my daughter and I stood on one side of the kitchen chopping green beans for an Indian dish, my husband stood on the other side of the kitchen mish-moshing his concoction together. He started rallying questions toward me:
"Does this look like enough onions?"
"Sure!" I blurted back, hoping that he'd just create the recipe without my help.
"Do you think three chilies is enough?"
"Seems like it might be too hot," I offered.

But he didn't listen and continued doing things his own way. The true sign of a chef-in-residence.

After a few minutes, the kebab mixture was done and he was happily rolling his chiptole chile mixture into long logs ready to throw on the barbecue.

From my kitchen to yours, here is his recipe:

BRUCE'S KILLER KEBABS

1 1/2 pounds organic, ground beef (you may use lamb or turkey)
1 egg
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
3 chipotle chilies, slit down the middle, seeded, then chopped
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp. salt

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Form into "logs" about 6 inches long. You can put these on the barbecue as is, or you can use skewers. No barbecue? Then put them on a cookie sheet and broil until golden brown, turning once.
Note: Try not to overcook these kebabs, because they will be dry.

Buy chipotle chilies
Contact Sarojni

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home