A blog of art, photography, food and writings.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006



MAKING PEACE WITH FURRY FRIENDS

I wouldn't say that I'm an "animal lover," though I do care about my furry brethren and even have a few roaming around my house. These animals are family members, not because I purposely went out looking for them at an animal shelter or pet store, but because they continue to weasel their way into my life.

For umpteen years my husband and I have had cats. First, it was "Tessa," the hand-me-down feline passed along from a high school friend who could no longer care for her. I loved that cat dearly though I sneezed my way through years of cuddling. Unfortunately, she died of feline leukemia back in 1993.

Then came "Yuki," the parking lot find. We literally found her roaming around, meowing for help in a dark parking lot as we exited a store. My husband said, "No way! Not another cat!" I said, "How can you say 'no' when she's already jumped inside the car and is sitting on your lap?" Need I say more? Yuki is now 16 (she's the one schnoozing on the pillows) and simply adores my husband--the one who adamantly said, "No more cats."

Then "Callie"-the cast-away purred her way into my heart. One day while I was in a pet store buying cat food, I "happened" to walk by her cage during this store's pet-adoption-day. My goal was to go in, buy what I needed and leave quickly. But when I walked by (pretending not to look at her), this striped feline stood up, stared me down and begged me to adopt her. When I left PetCo, I had a bag of food in one arm and a stray cat in the other. My husband glared at me from the driver's seat as I timidly approached the car...

Poor little Callie died of some unknown disease back in 1998, which left Yuki alone, ready to claim her domain as 'Queen' and sole survivor.

That, of course, was only until the next cat appeared on the scene, ready to disturb Yuki's peace.

It seems to be my fate that animals are a part of my life--and yet, like I said, I wouldn't categorize myself as an animal lover.

A few years ago I stopped by my neighbor's house to say goodbye because she was moving to Sacramento. As I wished her well in her move, she shoved a kitten into my jacket and said, "Here. Take this little kitten home and see how you like her." Like her? Is it possible to NOT like a kitten? I brought the pipsqueak home, placed her on the couch and waited to see if my husband would notice her when he got home from work. Sure enough, when he was ready to plunk himself down, she let out a little squeal, and bingo, the shock immediately turned to love at first sight. This keeper became known as "Cricket," or more humorously as "Fatty," because my 94-year old neighbor feeds her constantly, making her look like a hairy version of a walrus.

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't complain and whine about the needs of these animals. They're hungry. They need to go out. They need to be let in. It just doesn't seem to end. Really.

And the menagerie continues to grow...

While on a trip out to the desert last spring--in the middle of nowhere (think Mojave)--a puppy appeared. Yes, a puppy. Black, cute, submissive, tired, thankful to be found. Did we need a dog? Did we want a dog? NO. NO. NO. Did we bring that dog home? YES. YES. YES. My daughter was in heaven. My husband and I were in a state of canine shock; and frankly still are. We love, "Lunah," but man are dogs a different kettle of fish. They bark, whimper, growl, and pant. They trot, run, jump and dig. And they're devoted to their owners in an almost pathological way. We humans don't do anything special to make them so bonded to us, but they continue to be faithful.

I feel absolutely inundated with these animals. Everywhere I turn, there they are stealing spots and filling the air with their cacophony of sounds. The cats curl up on places where I'd like to sit, and the dog follows me from room to room like a little toddler. Am I THAT lovable and nice? I don't think so. But I have learned that companionship during a quiet time at home is actually nice. When I think I'm alone, all I need to do is to look around and see the two sleeping beauties--Yuki and Cricket--and their canine sister, Lunah, somewhere near my feet, and I'm reminded that having furry friends is not such a bad thing after all. In fact, it's kind of growing on me.

Visit Sarojni's website
Email Sarojni

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home